Top #10 Finfolk Mythic Silicone Top
Choose size and mythic color.
Part of a 2017 Black Friday Sale.
Top $250 + Shipping $9.26 = Total $259.26
- Purchased 11/24/17
- Shipping label made 4/12/18
- Shipped 4/23/18
- Delivered in Tampa, FL USA 4/25/18
I truly want to say good things about the Customer Service for FinFolk. I adore the look of their silicone tails and their Mythic tails are very unique. I had also met Abby and Bryn in person at their Jan 2018 Disney Meet Up. They were so sweet and open and willing to talk about their products. We even discussed this top and the timeframe to make/receive it (I unfortunately received misinformation at that time.)
I am disappointed with the amount of time it took to get the top and the communication I had from the FinFolk Team.
When I purchased the top I was under the impression that they were pre-made and just needed the “Mythic” color choice before they would be painted and shipped out. I ordered the top from the FinFolk website. (From what I can tell none of that was true & none of the tops are pre-made prior to their sale.) At the time they only offered one of each size and some were already sold. I felt lucky and excited when I checked the site (it was a while after they had been posted for sale) that my size was still “In Stock” and I made the purchase.
This isn’t a custom top. The only choice I made in it was the Mythic color choice. I choose Gold because I wanted a neutral color.
It took 5 months for me to receive the top and that was after talking to them in person at Disney Jan 2018 (I was told it would be finished that month), sending an email 6 weeks later, sending another email 5 weeks after that and finally posting on the FinFolk Pod Facebook page. I will say that I did receive correspondence to all of my emails but they always were vague saying it should be finished that month or that they were working on it. I never received updates when it kept getting delayed and delayed.
In response to my final email final email, (I’d received a shipping notification and kept checking the tracking number as I had a photoshoot that week so I was hoping for the top to arrive before the shoot. It kept saying “pre-shipment” like they hadn’t brought it to the post office yet for over a week.) They gave some reasons for the delays:
1. Shipping: “we wait until we have a good number of tops, scale orders, etc. to ship before taking them all to their designated shipping provider to make the trip as productive as possible.”
2. The wait: “There were a lot of unexpected delays this winter– moving into a new space, plagued by horrible weather that gave us 1 good painting day out of 10, and quite a few other behind the scenes things, and we openly admit that the tops were delayed a lot longer than we anticipated and while some tops were delivered by the deadline and by March, others were not and for that, we’re extremely sorry.”
The top is gorgeous!! The silicone base is soft yet supportive. The nude bra base has soft fabric. The shimmer and irredecence of the gold paint scheme is gorgeous. It seems to match all of my tails and pics up a bit of the color around it.
Unfortunately, the durability of the top is a bit lacking. I’ve only wore it one day swimming in the Florida Springs and already 2 of the silicone side fins have came unglued and are flopping all willy nilly. I know it’s an easy fix but it’s just not one I expected after just one day of wearing the top.
Also, as I was inspecting the fins I noticed that one fin is a white base instead of a gold base. There is a slight difference in color on that one fin but it’s only noticeable if you look very closely. It’s just an interesting note.
It can be worn strapless but it came with nude bra straps in a little bag. A photograph friend warned me prior that she had shot several mermaids in this design of a top and they have a tendency to flop over so she suggested always wearing straps with it. I did put straps on and it does flop over when swimming. I need to tighten my straps more or I need to add permanent ones to keep it up. I ruined several pictures and videos by grabbing at the top to put it back in place.
I have only wore it once but I wore it all day and went in and out of the water several times that day. I swam fast, dove deep and just lounged around in it. The top fits me well. It’s not too tight, in fact the cups are probably just a bit too large, but it is very comfortable. I plan on wearing this top very often because how comfortable it is.
- Photographs gorgeously
- Very comfortable
- The color matches almost everything
- Customer Service was lacking. No communication when it was delayed.
- It took a LONG time to receive the top.
- It tends to flop over when swimming or ascending quickly.
- After one day the side fins are already came unglued
- I was very worried and intimidated about possibly offending FinFolk by voicing my frustration. I thought I might eventually want a full silicone tail from them or maybe a Mythic sometime down the road and I didn’t want my new relationship with them tarnished. I felt I needed to get somewhat forceful with my emails and Facebook communication to let them know how frustrated I was getting waiting for the top. It wasn’t until I did this that I started getting a response I wanted from them and finally received the top. I’m not sure how long it would have taken if I didn’t reach out to them to keep reminding them that I still hadn’t received it.
- As much as I love how this top looks and feels…I’m now uncertain about how much business I want to give FinFolk. (Although if I did get a full silicone tail from them…I’d definitely want a matching top 😄.)