Top #5 Mertailor Silicone Scale Top
Custom made to match my Spellbound tail.
- Purchased with tail 9/7/2017
- Almost ready/ teaser 10/28/17 (Mermaid Meet-up/tail delivery)
- Picked up at during photoshoot with Mertailor 11/5/17
I ordered a silicone scale top to match my Spellbound tail. I ordered it online at the same time my tail order was put it. Cup size and measurement under bust around rib cage was requested.
I received an email saying my tail was complete but the next day I was told that they were still working on my top. Candy was great and kept me updated on its progress. It was taking longer to cure than normal because the weather was changing.
Mertailor met me at a Florida Mermaid meet up at Ginnie Springs, FL to deliver my tail in person (which was amazingly nice of him). At that time he had my top but it was just a basic pink and hadn’t been painted yet. He offered it as is, but said if I swam in it he couldn’t paint it (Candy had emailed me this prior to the meet-up so I was already aware.) I told him I wanted it painted to match my tail. I gave him freedom of how to paint it but I wanted at least one star on it and not directly over the nipple area (😊).
Later that week, during a photoshoot with Mertailor I was able to pick up my freshly painted top.
This top is made out of thick durable silicone. The scales are well sculpted to match my rounded scales on my tail without looking like they came off a scale sheet. The silicone is attached to a Mertailor’s bikini top that has had the side bands removed. The silicone side bands are reinforced with power mesh and connected in the back with a swimsuit clasp.
The paint job matches my Spellbound tail. The color is slightly darker pink than my tail but this was done on purpose. Eric said he was worried about the top being too close to my skin tone and wanted it to stand out a bit. It has 2 gorgeous black stars (one on each side) and some stripes on the back. It is speckled and detailed exactly the same as my tail.
I’ve worn it in a pool, in the Florida Springs, on the beach and on a float at a dry event. It has gotten dirty, sandy, and sweaty. It has cleaned up fresh and new easily with a bit of soap and water.
As I was taking photos of the top I noticed that the power mesh near the clasp is pulling away from the silicone. It just needs a little silicone reinforcement. I’m finding that although silicone is a fun mermaid material, it does tear and pull away from itself with use. I’m getting more and more comfortable with small repairs like this.
The size is custom made to my measurements and it fits perfectly. This is my most comfortable silicone mermaid top. I am a bit concerned that there isn’t any way to adjust it if needed (as in: if I gain or loose weight). I haven’t had to worry about that yet and will cross that bridge later, if needed.
Since the cups are made with Mertailor’s bikini cups it does have a push-up quality that gives “The Girls” amazing cleavage. Eric did make a comment that some mermaids have been surprised at how enhancing the tops can be.
It is a strapless top but there are loops in the front that will allow for a halter strap to be added. The first time I swam with the top I didn’t have a strap and it flips down as I propel myself forward. Now I have a black, a nude, and a pearl halter strap to use with it. If I wear the halter strap, it keeps the top in place while I swim. If I’m not swimming the top fits fine strapless.
I may add permanent fishnet straps to both add a bit of extra coverage and to keep the top in place. It would be easy to do with a bit of silpoxy. But I also enjoy it being strapless so I’m still undecided.
- This is probably the best deal cost wise for a really well made quality Silicone Top on the market.
- It gives me AMAZING cleavage
- Nice paint job that matches my tail. I love the matching stars.
- It fits me perfectly. It’s the exact measurement I gave for the top.
- Maybe too much push up & cleavage (maybe?)
- It did not come with straps (there are hooks to attach a strap, though)
- If I do not wear straps the top flips down while swimming
- There is no way to make adjustments, if needed, around the rib cage
- Silicone tops can sometimes be what makes the wait time for a tail seem endless. Tops are just as difficult to make and paint as silicone tails are.
- I LOVE & highly recommend Mertailor’s silicone tops as well crafted & affordable. I want another one only with a black base.
- I’m not sure if Mertailor is still making this smooth rounded Scale style top but he does have a new scale pattern top that looks just as nice.
- Update: As of 5/11/2018 Mertailor discontinued this mold and no longer makes this style top. He has a new silicone version for sale on his website for $265 (with shipping & tax its around $300…I just ordered one. He must have realized he was under pricing them. I’ll do a review when I’ve had it for awhile.)