Top #6 Marine Magic Silicone Stingray Top
Part of a BOGO Black Friday deal. (x1 Silicone Wrap & x1 Top) $240 + $12 shipping. Total $252.
(Marine Magic Tops are usually $160-180 & wraps are $130-160.)
- Purchased 11/24/17
- Finished photo sent but I requested she make changes 12/19/17
- Shipped 2/15/18
- Delivered in Tampa, FL USA 2/20/18
I had been watching Marine Magic on Etsy because I initially wanted another silicone gap/waist wrap. I hadn’t decided whether to try out Marine Magic or ask MerNation to make me another one (that I knew I’d like). When Marine Magic posted that they were having a Black Friday BOGO sale, I thought I’d give her a try.
The way Mermaid Kalynn makes her tops is that you can choose one main bra cover, an accent, and details. The color is custom & you choose the bra size. At first I didn’t know what to choose. I liked her top with a bra cover of a starfish but I was curious about the Vampire squid option. She said she had another customer interested in stingrays and suggested that. Since what I really wanted was the gap wrap, I decided to take a risk and get something that I normally wouldn’t consider and decided on a gray speckled stingrays with a seahorse accent and Starfish details.
I ordered off of Etsy so all of our communication was done through that site. She kept me informed with updates and photos the entire way. She started off by sending me photos of the stringray sculpts. Then asked about eye color. We decided on pink to match my tail. She sent photos of just the sting rays & they were adorable. She even put little stars on them to match the stars on my Spellbound tail.
Then we talked and I kept mentioning that I wanted it to be simple and not too busy. I wanted the stingrays to standout as the focal point of the top.
She allowed me to choose which direction the starfish faced. Then she suggested not putting the seahorse on it and I agreed. We decided just to add some pink & cream colored Starfish around the stingrays.
Once she was finished & it was ready to be shipped out in time for Christmas she sent me a final photo. Unfortunately, I thought there were too many Starfish and they just didn’t look like Starfish anymore. I told her my concerns and she was extremely understanding & even offered to completely redo the top. I loved those little stingrays so I asked if she would just try to preserve them but reduce the number of Starfish. I thought that maybe a different size starfish might fill it in better.
Again she sent me photos of the sculpting she did on another size starfish. Then she sent me photos of the layouts before glueing the starfish down.
The top was shipped out right away when it was finished. The top is super cute with two little stingrays staring up at me.
She also included a little mermaid crown and extra Silicone Starfish.
This silicone top is different from some of the other full silicone tops in that the silicone is very thin and floppy. However, it seems sealed together very well and the pieces are not pulling apart.
There is a thin layer of clear Silicone over the entire top including the nude fabric part of the bra that shows through (I’ll note that Mermaid Kalynn wanted to cover up all the nude parts but it was my request to leave them open.)
I haven’t wore it enough to see how it will stand up to a long day in the water.
It is a VERY comfortable top. The silicone is soft and molds to me nicely.
There is no push-up padding. For me the way this top fits (it may be because it doesn’t have padding) it gaps too much on the top for me to wear it as is. If I wear another bra under it it fits great. I’m going to try to play with adding some padding or sewing it onto another bra base to make it fit better for me because I really like the way it turned out and want to wear it more often.
I did try it out in my pool and the little stingray heads flop up and down as I swim. So cute!! It also might be the way I chose to orient the Rays. If they were turned another direction they wouldn’t do that.
- Very unique top
- The stingrays are adorable and have the cutest little eyes
- The pink and cream and white starfish are the perfect colors. They match my skin tone and my tail perfectly.
- This was a brand new sculpt from a brand new Silicone Top maker. It took a lot of conversation and communication to get a final piece that I was happy with.
- The cup size doesn’t fit very well. I will need to layer it over another top or add padding
- The silicone on the stingrays is very thin. It doesn’t give much shape or support.
- The paint and construction feels a bit amateur to me. For the price point and the fact that it was the first time she made a stingray top it is great. In time Marine Magic has the potential to make high quality $200-$300 pieces but she isn’t quite there yet. (At least with the stingrays, some of her more current work looks gorgeous!)
- It can be really difficult to speak up and let an artist know you are unhappy with a result.
- Patience and direct communication is best when working with a new top maker.
- Sometimes an artists vision and your vision are very different.
- I’m glad I took a risk and took advantage of the BOGO sale to get this top. I don’t think I would have ordered it at full price.