Top #3 Merthology Creations Silicone Seashells
Custom made to color request. One size fits all.
$47.00 (+ $50 shipping UK to US, included with a 2nd top) /UK dollars £38 = Total plus bikini top $80.79 (plus shipping)
- First message 5/20/17
- Ordered & payment sent 6/12/17
- Production started 7/9/17
- Shipped from the U.K. 8/3/17
- Arrived in Tampa, FL USA 8/7/17
When I contacted Merthology Creations about commissioning a silicone top she had several options. One option was for silicone shells connected with netting embellished with seaweed and little silicone starfish. All of our communication was over Facebook Messenger. I asked her to match the color of blue on my little seahorse on my tail for the seashells with the edges in cream/gold.
She sent me this picture before shipping. She had also warned me that they were not very supportive which I understood when I purchased them.
The silicone shells are very well made but the seaweed that was attached did not stay on very well. Upon arrival one piece had already fell off. When I tried it on she was correct in that there was ZERO support.
I decided I needed to give them support so I found a bikini on Amazon to attach them too. I removed the netting from the back of the shells. Then I tried to use E6000 to attach them to the bikini….sadly this was my first lesson in “silicone ONLY adheres to silicone.” I then purchased some silicone adhesive and used a ziplock bag filled with water to weigh the shells to the bikini while the silicone dried. Then I attached the little silicone starfish to one strap.
Bikini top purchased from Amazon: Kenneth Cole $33.79
I wore this top at one of the first mermaid meet ups I went to at Ginnie Springs, FL. It fit great but the seaweed kept rubbing on me and it was uncomfortable. A few more seaweed pieces fell off so I ended up just removing all of them. They were just attached with a little bit of clear silicone adhesive so they came off very easily. I find that I really like the simplicity of just the shells and tiny starfish.
The shells alone are very uncomfortable with no cups to support “the girls” (which Sam told me about). The back of the shells are a nice smooth silicone that felt nice against my skin. However, the seaweed was irritating around my armpits.
Now that I have them attached to a bikini top that fits me and removed the seaweed, it is one of the most comfortable tops I own. It is great for laid back swimming and enjoying myself in my tail. I like having an option for a casual mermaid top that is still 100% mermaidy. It seems like it will hold up for a very long time. The shells haven’t lost any color or gotten any scratches. I love how it folds in half making it very easy to store and carry.
- Well made silicone shells
- Nice paint job that matches my tail
- Silicone is thick and very durable.
- Very affordable
- Not supportive
- Had to attach it to my own bikini
- The seaweed was uncomfortable and did not stay attached
- I took a risk and ordered a top from someone who didn’t sell through a website and it worked out really well.
- I would defiantly order from Merthology Creations again. The price for what I received was spot on. If I bought this again I would just purchase the pieces…just the silicone shells and/or the small silicone starfish.
- Shipping from UK To US can be expensive but for the right price of the goods it can be worthwhile.
- That silicone only adheres to silicone so don’t use E6000 on it.
- Even if something isn’t perfect for you at first there are many ways to make it work for you. Get creative!